When to use Web Form Mappings
Do you have forms on your website that leverage a different form building software (like Gravity Forms)?
If yes, you have the possibility of using the Web Form Mappings tool we provide! The Web Form Mappings tool allows you to map forms that are created on other form building software to Net-Results. When a contact submits that form, the information will also be sent to Net-Results and we will update or create a contact in your instance!
Mapping Your Existing Web Form
To create a new web form mapping, go to Marketing Center → Web Form Mapping → Create New.
- Enter a name for your New Web Form mapping.
- In the Form URL field, enter the complete URL of the form you wish to map (including http:// or https://) and click Retrieve Form Fields.
- Each Web Form Mapping is unique to the URL being mapped. If your form lives in multiple locations (or is in multiple languages using different URLs), each one will need to be mapped separately–except in the case where GET variables are used. Read more on this below in the Setup Issues section.
- On the left column you will see the names of the fields as set within your web page code. Select the appropriate match for each field using the drop down boxes on the right. For example, if your form on your website says ‘Company’, you would want to match that with Company Name in the drop down box.
- Unnecessary fields may also be read by Net-Results. If that information is not important to use, leave the drop down option as ‘Do Not Record’.
- Your web form may also include custom fields. You will need to set up custom fields on the Custom Fields page before creating a new form mapping, or you can continue saving this form mapping and editing it later.
- When using a drop-down menu in your form, make sure each option has a value attribute (i.e. <option value=”California”>California</option>).
- Select a list or multiple lists to associate with this web form. Visitors who complete the web form will be automatically added to that list.
- Remember to click the Save button and save your work before navigating away from this page.
- We recommend you test your web form mapping by filling out the form on your website and then checking for list membership.
- Remember, you might already be a contact on your own account, so you will not be added as a new contact if you complete your own web form on your computer.
- You may want to have someone who has never been tracked by Net-Results on your website as a defined contact (personally identified) test the form mapping on another computer.
Web Form Troubleshooting
Testing & Troubleshooting FAQ
- Testing is best performed in private browsing mode. Private browsing will not use any of your existing cookies, nor will it store any cookies or history once you close the session. Submitting a form in this way confirms whether Net-Results is able to collect data from the form.
- When troubleshooting, it’s sometimes necessary to reproduce an issue on multiple browsers to identify the source of the issue.
- Once you submit, check the My Visitors area for the details you entered using the All Contacts segment. If you don’t see them there, the cause may be one of these issues:
- Is the Capture Code in place?’
- View source of your web form and search for the tracking code provided under your My Account tab. If the capture code is not on the page, no page views or submitted data can be captured.
- Is the mapping set up complete and enabled?
- Make sure that your mapping is saved by confirming it is listed when you access the My Web Form Mappings page under the Forms section of the Marketing Center.
- Is the product enabled?
- Confirm with the Customer Success team that your instance of Net-Results has not been canceled or otherwise suspended.
- Does the URL match exactly what is in the setup?
- Some browsers will “hide” a trailing slash on a URL for cosmetic reasons. The best practice is to copy and paste the full URL from the address bar of your browser. Note that this must be the exact URL, minus any GET variables (below), that will be accessed by a website visitor.
- Does the URL begin with HTTP or HTTPS?
- If it can be reached by both, two different mappings will need to be created.
- Are GET variables being appended onto the form URL by your links?
- If the destination URL contains variables that are not unique to each visitor, you will need to map the “static” portion of the URL (meaning everything prior to the question mark) and select the “Ignore Additional GET variables” checkbox. Example of GET string in form URL:
- Is there an email address field mapped?
- Check the mapping to make sure your email address field is mapped properly. If this is incorrect, Net-Results will not be able to associate a form submission to a contact.
- Does each field to be mapped have a name attribute in the HTML tag?
- The name attribute is how Net-Results knows which fields to use. Note: the use of array syntax with empty values is not currently supported.
- Is the for page composed of an iFrame?
- Is the form composed of AJAX?
- For the same reason as iFrames, we discourage the use of AJAX on web forms to be mapped. While it is possible, it requires additional scripting to be created by your development team.
- Is the browser using a cached copy of the form?
- Especially when testing, it is important to be using a fresh version of the form page. If any changes are made (to the form or the Web Form Mapping) make sure to force a refresh in your browser (usually Ctrl+Shift+R).
- Right Click on the form
- Hit “Inspect”
- Navigate to the “Console” tab.
- If there are errors, take a screenshot and send it in to support. Our team will explain more about what is going on!
- Is the form page composted of Flash?’
- Flash does not function at all with our web form mapping
- Do web form mappings work with third-party form generators like MailChimp, Formstack and Wufoo?
- If the form is “hosted” on a site that is not yours, such as yoursite.wufoo.com, it cannot be tracked because a domain you don’t own cannot be added to a domain group.
- Currently, forms created through Unbounce.com can be mapped using our Unbounce Forms integration even though a custom submit is used for these forms. But for other sites like MailChimp, Formstack, Wufoo and WebToLead Forms generated by SugarCRM are not supported by Web Form Mappings.
- If you are looking for a form generator and use WordPress, we recommend Gravity Forms as it has worked consistently for our customers with both mapping and capture. [/ht_toggle]